Blinds are an increasingly popular window treatment. They offer privacy, style, increased resale value, and they shield your furniture and flooring from harmful UV rays and fading. Window blinds also come in various styles, colours and materials such as polyester, aluminium and wood to add a personal touch to any space.
If you are considering investing in blinds for your home, don’t limit your options to traditional blinds. Electronic or smart blinds could be the best option depending on your lifestyle. This post will cover the top 10 reasons to get smart blinds for your home.
What are smart blinds?
Smart blinds are window coverings that include built-in motors that allow you to add remote raising or lowering capabilities. Some smart blinds can be scheduled to open and close automatically, have sensors to adjust to surrounding light or temperature or have supported smart home integrations for voice command control or control through an app on your mobile phone.
Smart window treatments have matured into a full-blown consumer trend. Here’s why you should consider smart blinds for your home.
1. Privacy – Smart blinds can automatically lower when light levels outside drop or when lights are turned on inside, giving you privacy and control in different rooms in your home before you even enter. This can be particularly useful in bedrooms or rooms with windows close to public areas like footpaths and car parks.
2. Safety – Traditional blinds with cords or roller chains can be a choking hazard for young children and pets. Smart blinds are cordless and can operate using remotes, phone apps or voice activation.
3. Convenience – Smart blinds offer the ultimate convenience. You can raise or lower your blinds with the touch of a button and without having to leave your seat or even be home. You can have complete control from anywhere inside or outside your home, depending on the level of smart functionality you choose.
4. Voice assist – Alexa, Google Home and Apple Home Pod have become prevalent in many homes as more and more people get information and complete tasks with voice commands. It’s now possible to control your blinds with your voice via Alexa, Siri and Google Home Assistant. Just look for blind manufacturers offering voice-enabled window blind options.
5. Location – Hard to reach places such as single high windows, over the kitchen sink, or gable ends can make traditional blinds an impractical choice. Smart window blinds can be raised or lowered with one-touch control on a remote or your phone and can be automatically sensor-activated depending on light or temperature conditions.
6. Energy savings – Smart blinds can be programmed to open to let sun and warmth in during winter and close in summer to keep the sun and excess heat out. They can also be set to allow the right amount of light into your room and save on energy used for lighting. These adjustments can be made without you having to be home so you can optimise your energy savings.
7. Professional installation – Smart blind installation is a more complex procedure that really requires a professional eye. It only takes mismeasurement for your DIY project to turn into a disaster. We approve all of our products before they are fitted and have the utmost confidence in our products and the service we deliver.
8. Security – Electric blinds can raise and lower without you even needing to press a button! Timer functions are convenient for those who are frequently away as the blind can raise or lower in your absence, making your home appear occupied to potential thieves.
9. Aesthetics – The lack of chain, cord or wand controls hanging from blinds offers a clean look. Electric blinds also make opening heavy blinds easier and keep them looking better for longer without manual handling. Fabrics look better for longer with a smoother electronic operation.
10. Smart home integration – Smart blinds can form part of your overall smart home ecosystem. Your blinds appliances and other devices can be automatically controlled remotely using a mobile or other networked device.
Explore our whole range of electric and smart blinds and make life a little bit easier by adding this luxurious finishing touch to your home.